Environmentally compliant properties don’t just happen – they’re built. For many developers and business owners, that means bringing in an experienced team of environmental engineers to assess risks and devise solutions that, at their core, protect the environment and the people within. Find out more about EWI’s approach to environmental engineering, as well as our expanded capabilities thanks to the team at our rapidly growing office in Boulder, Colorado.
Environmental Engineering Services
What Is Environmental Engineering?
First, let’s address the definition of environmental engineering. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) defines environmental engineering as the branch of engineering that is concerned with two things:
- Protecting people from the effects of adverse environmental effects (like pollution)
- Improving overall environmental quality
As defined by BLS, environmental engineers “use the principles of engineering, soil science, biology, and chemistry to develop solutions to environmental problems.” That includes using basic engineering principles to prevent the release of harmful chemical and biological contaminants into the environment.
So, how do environmental engineers accomplish this? They’re equipped with extensive knowledge of the chemistry and biology of potential environmental contaminants. In addition, they need a robust knowledge of industrial and agricultural processes. Why? Put simply, these are the processes that may lead to the release of the aforementioned contaminants. This knowledge allows environmental engineers to modify, reduce, and eliminate the release of contaminants.
Our Team’s Capabilities
As mentioned above, environmental engineering covers a fairly broad scope of pollutant management strategies. At Environmental Works, we break that down into several different project types:
- Litigation Support: Our team offers attorney-oriented support for mergers and acquisitions; for example, a recent environmental due diligence project with a defense contractor. The client in question worked with highly specialized equipment and needed to clean up a series of chlorinated solvents that had been previously released into the environment. Our team advised the client on the financial scope of their liability and presented a series of remediation strategies.
- Remedial System Design and Implementation: If you need an environmental solution concocted from the ground up, our team can help. Take, for example, the case of a property located on the site of a former gasoline station in the Kansas City area. The EWI team designed and piloted a full-scale soil vapor extraction system for the client, allowing them to move forward with confidence in their environmental compliance.
- Compliance Engineering Support: If you become aware of an environmental compliance issue on your property, we can work with your team to devise a unique solution.
Our Boulder Office
If you have questions about our environmental engineering capabilities, reach out to EWI’s Lead Engineer and Colorado Market Manager Steve Brauner. Brauner is based in our brand-new Boulder office. He has more than 17 years of environmental consulting experience in the Colorado area. With nearly two decades of experience and the connections to handle any project, our rapidly growing environmental engineering team is here for you.
Effective environmental solutions don’t just happen. They involve constructing solutions from the ground up. Fortunately, that’s our specialty. We can walk your team through litigation support, remedial system design and implementation, and general compliance engineering support. If you’re not sure where your project fits into that scope, contact us online for more information.
Are you in need of environmental engineering services? Give Environmental Works a call. We have in-house training experts ready to help. We will walk you through the specifics of your project’s compliance needs, including everything from litigation support to complete system design. When you’re ready, you can contact EWI online or call 877-827-9500 for more information.